Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cherry Mushroom Farro Risotto

(yeah, another lumpy bowl of food photo)

ever had one of those times when a strange food calls you
then you get it home and the adventures begin
whatever do I do with this stuff?
this happened to me recently at Costco
I bumped into a bag of Farro Perlato
Triticum Dicoccum or Emmer Wheat
a really old type of wheat that has been replaced
with the modern wheat we all know
the wheat in common usage has higher yields
than the heritage varieties

Farro Perlato, a peasant food is making a comeback
in gourmet restaurants all over Europe
the current name in use is from the Italian

after the third time I see this stuff, I buy a 3 lb bag
cooking for myself, whatever am I going to with this?
I remember going to a staged Medieval dinner
being served a barley risotto
with dried cherries and mushrooms
and I began to compose a dish

6 oz Crimini mushrooms
chopped, sautéed in olive oil, set aside
3 Shallots, chopped
about a cup of Farro
sauté in olive oil until shallots are wilted
about ½ cup White wine,
a nice fruity Spanish imported Viura
Low Sodium chicken Broth as needed
add and incorporate the wine first
then a ¼ cup at a time add broth
When Farro is tender add
¼ cup Dried Bing Cherries, chopped
Grated Parmesan Cheese

I kinda cheat on risotto making
instead of constantly stirring and adding liquids
add some liquid, cover and simmer
mix and repeat until grain is at your desired consistency
Farro has a slightly nutty flavor
I did have help eating this and there are no leftovers

© 2010 Sandy Vrooman

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious, Sandy. You are so inventive...I'm enjoying this blog very much.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete