Saturday, September 24, 2011

Zucchini Madness



it has been suggested
that there is a parallel
between zucchini and fruit cake
there seems to always be more
than can be consumed

I humbly submit some ideas
for using up the darn stuff
if you slice it to look like bacon
salt it and put a weight on top
(like a plate)
for about 20 minutes
then rinse and blot dryish

pretend they are lasagna noodles
grease a pan with olive oil
lay down a layer of zucchini noodles
top with a layer of ricotta cheese
a layer of tomato sauce
repeat until you have 3 or 4 layers
top with mozzarella cheese
bake in a 350 or 375 degree oven
or until done
(I hate that in recipes, don’t you?)

if you don’t mind a very juicy lasagna
you can add a layer of spinach
and a layer of fresh sliced plum tomatoes
be sure to season the spinach with
a bit of nutmeg
basil is good on the tomatoes
I like to add a bit of sea salt
to taste, yours not mine
enjoy

© 2011 Sandy Vrooman

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Every time I grow a vegetable garden, I'm sure to get a giant zucchini surplus. Now I know one more thing to do with them, and a delicious solution it is. I'm used to pressing thin slices of eggplant the same way prior to using the strips to make eggplant Parmiggiana, but this zucchini trick is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what of my friend who hates zucchini?? I have explained to her the virtues of this humble yet versatile squash, but she still reviles it's name!

    Grate and mix with eggs and carmelized onions to use as the "crust" of a casserole. Great for people who must avoid carbs!

    Robin R.

    ReplyDelete